Surgery + Minimally Invasive Surgery
Over the past 20 years, the use of minimally invasive techniques has increased dramatically in everyday small animal clinics. Therefore, Balmesvet’s aim is to improve the quality of our patients’ care by using minimally invasive techniques, guaranteeing a faster recovery less postoperative pain, which results in a better quality of life. These techniques stem from the need for specialists to perform diagnostic and therapeutic work with minimal damage during access to the target anatomical region. By the very nature of this type of technique, which uses natural orifices or minimal incisions, the specialist uses technology that allows him to handle and visualise “from a distance”; without directly touching the target anatomical region.
The practical applications of veterinary endoscopy are currently very varied.
Flexible endoscopes allow:
- Exploration and sampling of all regions of the digestive tract.(oesophagoscopy, gastroscopy, duodenoscopy, ileoscopy and colonoscopy).
- Examination and sampling of the lower respiratory tract (laryngoscopy, tracheobronchoscopy, tracheobronchoscopy) and nasopharynx.
The main advantages of endoscopy are excellent visualisation of the organs to be explored, lower pain and complication rates, faster recovery and access to areas of the body that are difficult to reach by conventional surgery.
On the other hand, fixed optics are useful for:
- Otoscopy of the external ear and middle ear in patients under general anaesthesia
- Interventional endoscopy in the nasal cavity
- Oral and dental endoscopy
- Rostral rhinoscopy
- Tracheoscopy of the cranial portion of the trachea in small patients
- Urethrocystoscopy in female dogs
- Access to abdominal viscera by means of laparoscopic surgery.
Not only is there the possibility of observing and taking samples, but also preventive medicine procedures such as gastropexies or curative or support procedures such as the extraction of foreign bodies from the stomach and oesophagus, polyps, placement of gastric tubes for enteral nutrition…
The Balmesvet team will be happy to advise you on any questions that may arise. Please do not hesitate to make an appointment